Please login to order a test.
Monitor exposure to bismuth
Inductively-coupled plasma/mass spectrometry (ICP/MS)
Normal: <10 μg/L
Bismuth poisoning through acute exposure is generally associated with the ingestion of soluble bismuth compounds as encountered in the therapeutic application of bismuth. Symptoms of acute poisoning often begin with foul breath and stomatitis and may progress to malaise, nausea, weight loss, and depression. Chronic bismuth exposure, which is typically attributed to inhalation, was generally evidenced by “tellurium breath,” but no adverse health effects were noted.1
Bismuth is employed in the production of low-melting alloys. It is also added to steel and iron to produce castings that are more easily machined. Bismuth is widely employed in the manufacture of ceramics and glass. The primary US source of bismuth is as a byproduct of the refining of lead and copper ores. Bismuth applications outside of industry include certain over-the-counter drugs intended as aids for gastrointestinal disturbances, as well as the pearlescent white coloring matter used in some lipsticks, powders, and fingernail enamels.
Maintain specimen at room temperature.
Causes for Rejection
|Order Code||Order Code Name||Order Loinc||Result Code||Result Code Name||UofM||Result LOINC|
|706515||Bismuth, Blood||8161-2||706515||Bismuth, Blood||ug/L||8161-2|