Please login to order a test.
- Al, Urine
Aluminum, urine; creatinine, urine; aluminum:creatinine ratio; aluminum, urine (24-hour)
Monitor patients for prior and ongoing exposure to aluminum. Patients at risk include:
• Infants on parenteral fluids, particularly parenteral nutrition
• Burn patients through administration of intravenous albumin, particularly with coexisting renal failure
• Adult and pediatric patients with chronic renal failure who accumulate aluminum readily from medications and dialysate
• Adult parenteral nutrition patients (less so, recently)
• Patients with industrial exposure
Monitor dialysate and water to prepare dialysate to prevent aluminum toxicity in dialysis patients.
Inductively coupled plasma/mass spectrometry (ICP/MS)
• Environmental exposure: 5−30 μg/L, 0−32 μg/24 hours
• Aluminum:creatinine ratio: <50 μg/g creatinine
• Occupational exposure: 150 μg/g creatinine (collected at end of shift)1
Urine (random or 24-hour)
Plastic urine container, no preservative
Optional protocol: Instruct the patient to void at 8 AM and discard the specimen. Then collect all urine including the final specimen voided at the end of the 24-hour collection period (ie, 8 AM the next morning). Avoid contact with metal during collection. Screw the lid on securely.
Maintain specimen at room temperature.
Do not use preservative. Preservatives used for routine analysis may contain mercuric oxide (ie, Stabilur), which interferes with all metal testing. If both urinalysis and metal testing are ordered, please submit a separate urine specimen (containing no additive) for the metal testing.
|Order Code||Order Code Name||Order Loinc||Result Code||Result Code Name||UofM||Result LOINC|
|071555||Aluminum, Urine||071557||Aluminum, Urine||ug/L||6929-4|
|071555||Aluminum, Urine||071560||Aluminum/Crt Ratio||ug/g creat||13470-0|
|071555||Aluminum, Urine||071559||Aluminum,Urine 24 Hr||ug/24 hr||26707-0|