Featured Endocrine Tests
Labcorp is committed to providing highly specialized endocrine testing and services. We understand the importance of each test and are dedicated to delivering results that you can count on to make important clinical decisions.
Diabetes Autoimmune Profile | Glycated Albumin | Genetic Testing | NASH Testing
Labcorp can help deliver accurate diagnoses for your patients
To serve as your source for identifying and managing patients at risk for development of type 1 diabetes, we offer the Diabetes Autoimmune Profile. This combined test evaluates well-characterized islet antibodies—glutamic acid decarboxylase autoantibody (GAD-65), insulin autoantibodies (IA), Insulinoma-associated-2 autoantibodies (IA-2), and zinc transporter-8 autoantibodies (ZnT8)8 . Measuring for all four autoantibodies is recommended to achieve maximum sensitivity for detecting autoimmune diabetes. Studies have shown that the combined measurement raised detection rates to 98% in new-onset T1D9.
A positive result for more than one antibody is associated with a higher likelihood of T1D and can help with staging presymptomatic T1D.
Positivity rates in new-onset T1D patients9
|Islet Cell Specific Antigen||One Positive Antibody|
|IA-2/ICA 512 antibodies||72%|
Use our test to:
- Screen: Consider offering the panel to first-degree relatives of your patients who have T1D. Early identification can reduce the severity of symptoms at onset, and even reduce hospitalization and DKA.5
- Differentiate: Misdiagnosis is common, and distinguishing between types of diabetes—type 1, type 2 or maturity-onset diabetes of the young (MODY)—can be challenging.6 Type 1 diabetes can develop at any age, not just in childhood, as up to 40% of type 1 diabetics present after 30 years of age10.
- Diagnose: The ADA recommends using an autoantibody panel to help diagnose T1D.6
Test Results & Cost
Patient screening is straightforward—requiring a simple blood draw, and results are typically delivered within 8-15 days. Based on Labcorp data , 98% of patients paid less than $25 out of pocket for the Diabetes Autoimmune Profile, and 65% patients had no out-of-pocket costs.
Screening can help families and patients recognize clinical symptoms, such as increased thirst or weight loss, more quickly. This impacts a patient’s journey with T1D, reducing their risks of DKA and offering better long-term blood sugar management. While there is a lack of approved therapeutic interventions for T1D patients, people who are newly diagnosed with T1D also may sign up to participate in clinical trials to further the advancement of therapies and a path to a cure.
Labcorp can help meet your T1D needs.
Contact a Labcorp representative to learn more about our T1D testing options.
What is glycated albumin?
The measurement of glycated albumin is useful for the intermediate term (preceding 2-3 weeks) monitoring of glycemic control in patients with diabetes. The measurement of glycated albumin provides a means to assess short-term glycemic control in those conditions where HbA1c utility is limited.
Labcorp offers resources to help you understand where glycated albumin fits with other tests for monitoring glycemic control.
Genetic test options to aid in diagnosing endocrine disorders.
You may not often need genetic testing for rare disorders, but when you do, we want to be able to help provide the answers you need.
Labcorp is proud to have expanded our endocrine genetic test menu to include genes and panels for many endocrine disorders. We hope you find that these tests complement our extensive biochemical test portfolio to support you and your patients across the entire continuum of care.
Read more about advances in genetic testing and the clinical utility in today’s endocrine practice.
Learn about the importance of NAFLD & NASH
Non-alcoholic steatohepatits, or NASH, is a form of fatty liver disease. According to researchers, one in four people is affected by fatty liver disease, which can develop for a number of reasons. There is currently an unmet need regarding NASH and NAFLD: Non-invasive tests for screening, diagnosis, staging and monitoring therapeutic response to these diseases. Here at Labcorp, we are helping change this. Labcorp has launched NASHnext™, a novel, noninvasive diagnostic test for nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH).
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National diabetes statistics report, 2020. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services. 2020.
- Modeling the total economic value of novel type 1 diabetes (T1D) therapeutic concepts. JDRF T1D Fund; 2020.
- Diabetes symptoms. American Diabetes Association website. Accessed July 15, 2021. https://www.diabetes.org/diabetes/type-1/symptoms
- DKA (ketoacidosis) & ketones. American Diabetes Association website. Accessed July 15, 2021. https://www.diabetes.org/diabetes/complications/dka-ketoacidosis-ketones
- Screening can reduce DKA at onset by ≥50%. Provention Bio, Inc. website. Accessed July 15, 2021. https://connectedbyt1d.com/proactive-screening
- Classification and diagnosis of diabetes: standards of medical care in diabetes—2021 American Diabetes Association. Diabetes Care. Jan 2021, 44 (Supplement 1) S15-S33; DOI: 10.2337/dc21-S002
- Fieldwork research performed in January 2021 to survey 100 U.S. endocrinologists across private settings, community practices and academic centers.
- Simmons, KM, Steck, AK. Islet autoantibody testing. Current utility, future prospects in predicting and diagnosing type 1 diabetes. Clinical Laboratory News. 2017 Jul 1.
- Wenzlau JM, Juhl K, Yu L, et al. The cation efflux transporter ZnT8 (Slc30A8) is a major autoantigen in human type 1 diabetes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104(43):17040-17045. doi:10.1073/pnas.070589410
- Thomas NJ, Jones SE, Weedon MN, Shields BM, Oram RA, Hattersley AT. Frequency and phenotype of type 1 diabetes in the first six decades of life: a cross-sectional, genetically stratified survival analysis from UK Biobank.