Please login to order a test.
Helicobacter pylori Urea Breath Test
- Urea Breath Test
The urea breath test can be used to aid in the diagnosis of H pylori infection. The test can also be used to assess therapy when it is administered more than a month after completion of therapy.
IR (infrared) spectroscopy to assess the presence of 13CO2
The present standard of care includes testing for and treatment of Helicobacter pylori in patients with documented ulcer disease or recurrent dyspepsia. Although serologic assays have been widely used for the diagnosis of H pylori, the increasing availability of direct tests in the form of stool antigen and urea breath test provide diagnostic alternatives with higher positive predictive values. Use of “direct” tests leads to a reduction in unnecessary treatment, which is important because of the continuing concern regarding antimicrobial treatment and the emergence of antibiotic resistance. These tests each have the added feature of being able to be used as a test of cure when administered a month or more after completion of eradication therapy.
Breath samples pre- and post-ingestion of fruit-flavored powder solution, containing 13C-urea diagnostic component from adult patients.
Breath samples pre- and post
Breath samples pre- and post.
One pre- and one post-ingestion breath sample from adult patients.
Blue sample bag (baseline) must be collected as follows:
• Remove the blue breath collection bag from the kit.
• Remove the pulloff cap from mouthpiece of the breath collection bag.
• Instruct the patient to breathe normally, then take a deep breath, pause holding their breath for a full second (counting one, one thousand) then exhale into the mouthpiece of the bag.
• Replace the cap in the mouth piece of the bag.
Prepare the fruit-flavored powder solution, containing 13C-urea diagnostic component as detailed in the kit instructions
Postdose sample bag (pink or gray) is collected as follows:
• Instruct the patient to drink all the solution without “rinsing” mouth before swallowing.
• Have the patient sit quietly for 15 minutes. Set timer for 15 minutes.
• After 15 minutes, collect the pink or gray sample bag as outlined for the baseline specimen above.
All sample bags must be labeled according to LabCorp specimen labeling policies.
Causes for Rejection
This test can only be performed on adult patients. For pediatric patients between the ages of 3 and 17, order Helicobacter pylori Urea Breath Test, Pediatric .
|Order Code||Order Code Name||Order Loinc||Result Code||Result Code Name||UofM||Result LOINC|
|180836||H. pylori Breath Test||29891-9||180836||H. pylori Breath Test||29891-9|
|Reflex Table for H. pylori Breath Test|
|Order Code||Order Name||Result Code||Result Name||UofM||Result LOINC|
|Reflex 1||180843||H. pylori Breath Test||180843||H. pylori Breath Test||29891-9|